Monday, June 24, 2013

Grocery Store

Although I enjoyed all the different aspects of the trip, some of my favorite times whenever I travel are when we get to see "everyday life" in the country we are visiting.  This happened on our next to last day when we stopped by a grocery store (not a corner market, but a big one).  Our guide had been purchasing various Turkish food items (like snack foods) throughout the trip and sharing them around the van.  One member of the group wanted to buy some of the cookies he had provided at one point.  We all wandered through the store looking at the variety of goods, and eventually ended up on the chocolate aisle, purchasing Turkish chocolate for friends at home.

Watermelon is big here.  It is in season and was served at nearly every meal and snack.  I asked our guide if they had melon flavored jam or watermelon juice and he wrinkled his nose and said "no"!  I thought it seemed like a reasonable question to me, but I guess watermelon must be served fresh and only fresh : )

The orange color scheme reminded me of Home Depot.

One of two brands of Turkish chocolate that we found.

One of the favorite drinks of the group was Kayisi nektari (apricot juice).  Wisne nektari was also very popular  (cherry juice).  These were available at every restaurant.

The national drink in the country is called Ayran (pronounced I-rahn).  Its a liquidy yougert drink that I was not particularly fond of.  Again, I asked if it came in different flavors...no, of course not.  Ayran is ayran : )





No comments:

Post a Comment