Sunday, June 23, 2013

Geocaching adventure

David and I brought a "geocaching travel bug" with us from the US and our goal was to have her travel Turkey with us, log these visits and then place her in a cache here in Istanbul so she could keep on traveling to other places. (Her ultimate goal is to make it to Japan).  Below are the different places she posed for photos on our trip.  I worked extra hard to make sure I could find an appropriate geocache site for her when we arrived because my GPS on my phone would not be working in Turkey, so I really needed a street address for the location.  I found the perfect site in a local cafe where geocachers can safely leave items without 'muggles' (non geocaching folks) messing up the cache.  I knew the name of the cafe and knew that it was on a side street about halfway down Istiklal street.  We strolled and got closer, noting the church and museum that were marked on the map, then voila!  we found the cafe!  We sat down, ordered, took pictures with Kitty, then asked the waiter if there was a geocache here.  He promptly brought out a cigar box with a combo lock on it.  I got on the cafe's wifi and looked up the "hint" for this cache and found the combo.  We opened the box, signed the log book, placed Kitty inside and took a new travel bug to bring back to the US.  St. Pauli girl is now traveling with us.

Hagia Sophia

Hagia Sophia

Blue mosque

Ankara castle

Turkish coffee time

Taksim Square

TAG cafe

TAG cafe

Our new travel bug.  Not nearly as cute as Kitty, but fun just the same.




No comments:

Post a Comment