Sunday, June 16, 2013

Ready for a full day

We started the day loading into our 14 passenger bus.  Its so nice to be traveling with just 10 other people.  Everyone was punctual and ready to roll.  
About all I've seen of the city thus far is the highway system that brought us to the hotel last night and to our tourist sites today, but I've quite impressed with their transit.  Wide highways with pot-hole-free lanes.  In the middle of the highway runs a special bus lane.  There are pedestrian bridges that go over the highway to a center island where people board the double long buses.  Pretty efficient looking.
Traffic is heavy in places, but surprisingly clear and quick moving in others.  Although our taxi driver from the airport pulled some pretty crazy moves to get us around the protestors (driving through gas stations, on sidewalks, etc.)  he was a good driver and I didn't feel like my life was at risk (I can't say I feel the same way about NY cabbies).  Drivers are aggressive, but apparently not too rude (not too many horns and yelling while driving).

My favorite site on our way to the Hagia Sophia today were all the flowers planted along the highways. Our guide said the city is responsible for their upkeep and is working to promote "greenness" in the city.  Some school kids are recruited to provide community service in the gardens.






No comments:

Post a Comment