Thursday, May 26, 2016

Louvre Museum

After Notre Dame, we made our way to the Louvre which is across the river.  Stretching several city blocks in multiple connected buildings, it is impressive from the outside, and even more so on the inside.
This is just one side of one building, but it gives you an idea of the scale of the complex.
This is a panoramic in the central courtyard.  (I have tricky people hopping into my photo).


Our group accidentally got a free group entrance.  I thought I was paying for a university group admission, but the scheduled me as a "group leader" (ie one of those guys with a microphone telling guests details about each piece of art) and let all the students in free with me.  This image couldn't be farther from the truth.  I am not an art expert by any stretch of the imagination, so I just turned the group loose to explore what caught their eye.  Our first stop was naturally the Mona Lisa (much smaller than many expect).

And then this famous statue (which I don't remember the name of at the moment)


Delaney, David and I started in the Greek and Roman artifacts area, discovered that all of the labels of the objects were in French, and passed quickly on through the Egyptian section (also labeled solely in French), and on into the 'royal apartments' which had labels in English (and looked like a better furnished version of Versailles).
No egyptian collection is complete without a cat : )

Eventually we made our way to the sculpture section which I wanted to see, and the Renaissance paintings which Delaney wanted to see, so we split up.  I particularly liked scuptures by a French artist from the 1850s named Roca.  He sculpted a lot of children at play.  This little girl is holding a lizard (seen close up below).


This particular sculpture of an older man was seen as surprising when it was made because most sculptures were of young (or idealized) people, not naked aging people.
I liked the flowing water carved in stone on this one.
There were several artists seated throughout this section making sketches of the sculptures.





No comments:

Post a Comment