Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Burano Lace

After visiting Murano, we headed farther out into the lagoon to visit Burano island, which is famous for its lace.  (Unfortunately the lace museum is closed Mondays - and you guessed it, it was Monday).  The lace shops, however, were open for business.  I looked at several beautiful swirly skirts, my favorite kind, and asked how much...only 220 euro (what a bargain, heavy sarcasm).  The skirts were beautiful, and they did have silk embroidery and hand made lace panels, but that was far beyond my price range.  I happily settled for an oil painting of the Venice skyline from a local artist instead (I know it was his, because it was in his studio, not sold by a street vendor).
One of many beautiful dresses designed and crafted on Burano.

These were more in our price range.

The most charming thing about Burano were the brightly painted buildings!  Everywhere you looked was colorful with paint and spring flowers blooming.



Some of the alleys were very narrow.


I cracked up seeing Snow White and the Seven dwarves in someones garden...





No comments:

Post a Comment