Sunday, June 18, 2017

Shout out to an honest cab driver



I took a taxi back to my hotel from the ferry, not knowing how much taxis might cost, but thinking I had enough cash.  The meter was set at 20HKD to start (about $2) and did not appear to move when sitting still.  The driver was not certain where my hotel was, but we agreed on a road that was near by.  He headed in the right direction and then came within a block of the hotel and kept going. (The meter read 40 HKD at this point).  I wasn’t sure if he was trying to approach the one way street by going around the block or not, but it became clear he was headed to a destination farther way.  I said ‘you know you passed the hotel, right?’  He asked me to write down the name of the hotel and then pulled a u-turn and headed back the other way.  When we pulled up to the hotel, the meter was 60HKD.  I was annoyed, but glad I didn’t have to walk after hurting my ankle.  He then asked for just 40HKD, recognizing he had missed the mark.  I can’t imagine in a million years a NY cab driver doing that!

No comments:

Post a Comment