Sunday, June 18, 2017

My biggest adventure

After shopping, it was only 12:30, so I had to decide how to spend the rest of the day.  I decided to head down to the pier since I like to watch the water front activity.  Depending on the rain, I might decide to make the trip I had scoped out to Cheung Chau island to see the legendary pirate cave of Cheung Po Tsai.

I ventured to Pier 5 to check the price.  It was reasonable, and the ferries ran every hour throughout the day, so no worries about getting stuck on the island accidentally.  I sat people-watching for  awhile, trying to talk myself into going.  I'm so glad I did!

Very nice  multi-hull ferry with comfy seats (very much like those in Greece).  A very smooth ride.

Pier 5 departure point

Despite the heavy rain over the city center, there was only light rain out on the water.  I was hopeful that I could walk along the water front on the island without getting soaked.

Lighthouse
Cheung Chau island is quite different from downtown HK city.  Definitely a fishing town.  No high rises, just 2-3 level dwellings and a million fishing boats of all shapes and sizes. 


The water front was clearly designed to be enjoyed on foot or by bike.  There were rental places everywhere.  Only a very light rain coming down.  I was so glad I made the journey over. 



The people riding by with their umbrellas in hand were very talented. 

I particularly liked this double umbrella rider with dad in front and daughter in back.
I stopped by a local grocery store.  The tiny aisles were packed, so I couldn't take much time to browse, but I did get my traditional crackers and cheese to eat.  I'm told that the Chinese don't much like cheese, and by the very small selection in the store, I can believe it.  But I did find my favorite laughing cow (imported from France).



I don't know why, but I was surprised to find this crew team rowing in the bay.  I passed a whole area on the shore that had at least 10 different boats.  They are quite long and look to crewed by 10+ people.

One thing that there is not a lot of in Hong Kong (at least that I could find), were park spaces. This waterfront was quite peaceful with a lot of park benches (many with roofs to shelter from the rain when it got heavy). 


I loved this bike.  Its actually a 3 seater - two regular seats and a baby chair

At the end of the island I found signs to the "pirate cave"


It was a very pretty hike into the woods along the paved trail. ("Lovely" relatively speaking...  it was a tropical rain forest and I was sweating non-stop).  I envy the locals who appear so well put together even in torrential down pours and the heat and humidity!)
There were several nice picnic sites along the way.



The cave opening was under this tumble of rocks.  I decided it would be unwise to climb into such a place unaccompanied and with no one knowing where I was.
I continued along the trail and unfortunately even though I was being careful, I took a misstep and badly sprained my ankle and skinned my arms on the sharp rock.  I cleaned off my scrapes with my water bottle, then gently got up.  It hurt to walk, but I could do it.  I managed to hobble the 1/2 mile along the harbor back to the ferry, I kept hoping one of the rickshaw bikes would come by, but none did.  I took the ferry back and caught a taxi to my hotel.  Ice and lots of advil and fingers crossed that I can navigate two airpots to get back home tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment