Friday, June 16, 2017

Hating jet lag - Street observations

Found myself awake at 3:00 am, despite going to bed at 11:00 pm.  I was hungry, so I ate a granola bar.  Then I laid awake for a long time.  I finally read for a while, then tried to go back to sleep.  No luck.  I got up at 6:00 and decided to shower and find food.  Unfortunately, the bakery across the street from the hotel did not open until well after 7:00.  I had to settle for an egg mcmuffin at the McD's across the way and hope for something more authentic later.  I got to sit at the upstairs window at McD's and just watch the street for a while.  Directly below me a butcher was working on his cuts of meat for the day.  Store front wide open to the street, butcher just inside slicing away.
There is a pretty wide range of apartments to view.  Nearly every single one has a window AC unit sticking out.  I was astounded at the number of windows that were actually open when it was 87 out today with a heat index of 97!

It may be a little hard to see, but many of the people in the apartments across from my hotel hang their clothes in their window nooks (space saving option I assume).  They also had small laundry racks mounted outside the windows, even as far up as the 30th floor (something blows off that rack, you will never see it again!)

I couldn't figure out what this building was that apparently had a cross on the outside.  No English to indicate whether it was some kind of worship space or not.

The city is filled with elevated roads and elevated sidewalks, using every bit of space that is available.  This roadway overpass has a little pedestrian plaza directly under it.

If you look carefully, you can even see that this warehouse has two levels for loading delivery trucks.  The entire city is stacked haphazardly on top of itself with walkways and escalators connecting stuff!


You know you are in a tropical zone when you have ferns just growing off the sides of buildings.
It is nearly impossible to J-walk here.  Most sidewalks (when they exist at street level) are fenced in as you can see below.  This is particularly challenging when you missed a cross walk midway down the block and are prevented from crossing the street to where you want to go.
Another elevated sidewalk
We kind of wanted to hop on one of these double decker trolley cars, but didn't have time to be that adventuresome today.

No comments:

Post a Comment