Saturday, May 26, 2018

Train to Toledo

On my free day I decided to head to Toledo, just outside of Madrid.  It is a UNESCO world heritage site and absolutely beautiful.  I bought tickets the day before because I had heard they sometimes sold out.  I'm glad I did, and that I explored the train station fully so I could navigate better with the group.  Since the bombings in Madrid a few years ago, they have installed increased security to board the trains.  All bags go through a scanner and only ticketed passengers can get on the platforms. (No metal detector for the people however, so it's not quite a rigorous as airport security).  The Madrid station was crazy busy.  After standing in 4 separate lines to try to get tickets, I finally stood in the right line and got them.    Then I started looking for how the platforms were arranged.  There were two levels for departures (medium and long distance), with two different security lines.  They all emptied onto the same platforms in the end, but from two different entrances.  Tickets successfully purchased and ready to head out of town.
Found this waiting area with the airplane like seats interesting.  Not nearly enough seats for everyone to be seated, but since they only call the platforms 15 or so minutes before departure, it didn't matter much.

Loved these "garr like" trains (the needle nosed fish)



The Toledo station clearly showed its Mosqarabe roots.  Very pretty little building.
It took us a little while to get oriented upon our arrival, but they were selling tourist maps and we found our location and decided on how we wanted to approach the city (by the ancient bridge over the river).




No comments:

Post a Comment