Monday, May 28, 2018

Guell Park

Antoni Gaudi and E. Guell bought this hillside land outside of Madrid in 1901 hoping to create a subdivision for the wealthy of the city out in the country.  It was not popular however, and Gaudi moved into the model house and then spent a number of years working on the Terrace and gardens before he started working full time on the Sagrada Familia. 
I wish it had been sunny for better contrast in pictures, but at least it didn't rain. 


The place was so packed with tourists I was glad to leave in the end.

The mosaic tiles were quite lovely.

Gaudi liked to combine nature in his art and was a devout Christian. 


These are all parts of a very long bench on a big terrace overlooking the city.

The gardens were very pretty.


The pillars were deliberately crooked and quite striking.


View of the Sagrada Familia in the distance - dark building on the left with the cranes over it. 

My favorite street musician for the day was this hammer dulcimer player.  He was very good and selling CDs.  I don't often given them change, but I did for this guy.  While I was listening, several members in the group were getting their photos with some tamed birds with dyed feathers.  Quite colorful.  Fully to see them with birds on their heads.  Reminded me of Delaney in Venice with the pigeons on her. 














No comments:

Post a Comment