Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Cathedral of Barcelona

This Cathedral is dedicated to Sta Eulelia.  It was built mostly in the 1300s and took about 150 years to complete. Saint Eulelia was a 14 year old vigil who was martyred.  Her remains are in the crypt of the church, which is visible from the main nave. 


This Cathedral was very well lit, with lights on the vaulted ceiling which looked quite lovely and made the church less gloomy than they sometimes are.  



High alter
Organ

Crypt
The cathedral had a very nice terrace/court yard attached that was filled with more side alters.  Iv'e not seen many churches with so many alters on the exterior, not just the interior.  There were also a lot of geese with a nice pond in the center.  I read something about them, but need to go back and look it up again.  I thought it was a symbolic reference, not a literal one. 

I looked for the ticket booth to go up on the roof and was told by two different staff members that it was "inside".  I finally found it in one of the chapel niches. I had planned to send the group up to the roof for a skyline view, and paid for them to go as they were ready.  I hunted down the last remaining members and discovered that the elevator had broken while I was looking and we were not going to be allowed on the roof.  I asked if we could take the stairs, but it was 'not possible'.  Fortunately we had lots of other good city views from roofs and beyond. 

No comments:

Post a Comment