Sunday, May 27, 2018

Signage

International signs are always interesting.  I'm wrestling with the mix of Catalonia and Spanish.  I wasn't sure what I would find with regard to Catalon and Spanish in Barcelona, but there is a very strong presence of Catalon.  I can't tell which people are speaking at all, but the signage all over the city is bilingual, often with Catalon first.  I find that I can actually read more of the stuff written in Catalon than in Spanish because Catalon is like a blend of French (which I know fairly well) and Spanish, which I know a bit, thus I can draw on both to interpret the Catalon. I can't even always tell which words I know from Spanish and which ones I recognize because of their fFrench roots, but the X in the words is a give away for Catalon.  It makes a "ch" sound.

Churros and Chocolate
Sandwichteria = sandwich shop, which are very popular and on every corner.

Botiga = Boutique (French)+ Bodega (Spanish)
Sortida = Sortie (French) + Salida (Spanish) for exit)

I'm not sure you can read the badge on the security guard, but I thought it was funny that they are called vigilantes de Securidad.  [Autocorrect is making typing this entry on language comparisons very difficult!  Everything I write gets "corrected" into something else!)
Emergency room = "urgencias"

I liked this key shop sign with the muscular key.  It's kind of interesting to see that some merchants choose an English name for their business.   I'm not sure what calculations go into that selection, bu this is a good example: Mul T Lock. 

The hat shop was high end.  The Sunglasses, not.  Both were in the Barri Gothic - Old City where there are lots of tourists.  Other restaurants in neighborhoods are probably not catering to tourists though. 








No comments:

Post a Comment