Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Day 5- strange experience

Jay and I had a kind of unusual experience tonight.  We decided not to go out for ice cream and just relax at the church.  One of the members struck up a conversation with Jay and he kindly included me in the conversation by translating.  The lady turned out to be a high school counselor/social worker.  She offered to take us by to see the local high school and I jumped on the opportunity.  I love to see parts of "every day life" when I visit other places.  She drove us 10 blocks to the school and told us that there are about 2100 students there.  Unfortunately it was after hours, so we didn't get to go in.

Then she offered to show us her house which was not far away.  Again, I was excited to get the opportunity to see inside one of the houses that we had walked passed in the neighborhood several times.  She had a garage on the front of the house along with a small xeriscaped garden.  She invited us into her living room which was open to the dining and kitchen area as well.  There were three overstuffed comfy couches in the living room, a very nice hexagonal glass table in the dining room, and a tidy, small kitchen, all tastefully decorated.

She had a small strange device in the middle of her living room floor.  She explained that it was a massage device for her back, then offered to show it to us.  I was invited to lay on the floor and place my feet in this machine that then proceeded to shake my feet back and forth.  (I felt like a toy that  the dog was shaking in its mouth!)  She also had a hand held massage tool that she gave us a brief back rub with.  It was kind of relaxing in the end, but also kind of odd from a virtual stranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment