Friday, June 24, 2016

"RemaIN" - Scots largely voted against the Brexit

It is so weird to be some where that is the center of a global news event (unlike Kansas ever is).  62% of Scotland voted to Remain in the EU.  I saw a number of signs in windows (below).


David and I passed by the Scottish Parliament building today and saw a gathering, so I had to check it out.  I found it ironic to see the Scottish, British and EU flags all flying side by side.



















Demonstrators had EU flags and Scottish flags, as well as Syrian and Polish flags.
Signs read "Migrant solidarity"
 and "I love no borders"

A peaceful speech with cheering.  Largely attended by young folks.  Cops were standing around the fringes.  David looked it up and said the 18-24 demographic voted most in favor of remaining in the EU.  That was evident from the gathering. 

We also saw this small group of people camping in tents on the lawn near the Parliament building.  They were campaigning for a  Yes vote for Scotland to leave the UK.
Turns out on Skye, our host and a number of others supported the Brexit. I found it ironic that there were a number of signs around the island that read "European Regional Development Fund, Investing in your Future" with newly paved highways.  I guess there won't be too many more of these projects in the future...An 




No comments:

Post a Comment