Saturday, June 7, 2014

Meals

We mostly ate well on the trip, but I will be glad to get home to my own kitchen and my own cooking.  In Italy we had a choice of pasta or pizza whatever restaurant we were in.  That is fine for a few days, but after a week we started actively looking for non-Italian food.  We were so excited to arrive in Geneva to discover Japanese, Indian, and other ethnic options.  Unfortunately the cost of living is so exorbitant in Geneva, we ended up eating at the local grocery store (Migros) for most of our meals.  (I was still delighted to be able to find hummus as a food choice on the shelves, having looked without success in each city in Italy).

We had a variety of breakfasts provided at our different lodgings.  The one in Rome was classic continental breakfast with bread, meat, cheese, yogurt, hardboiled eggs, and cornflakes.  The most delicious option were the fresh baked croissants.  In Venice the spread was less impressive, with bread and cornflakes, but no meat or cheese or yogurt.  The croissants were still delicious, especially with jam inside!  Milan did not provide breakfast at all.  I expected a weak breakfast in Geneva, but it was actually quite good with yogurt and granola (not just cornflakes), several varieties of fresh baked breads, (real) nutella and jams.


I took this picture for fun.  Its the breakfast that one of the borders at the Geneva hostel was eating.  I found the tea in a bowl and cornflakes in a cup very funny.  She did not see me take the picture and I did not ask for an explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment