Monday, March 10, 2014

Miscellaneous reflections

Random thoughts that did't seem to fit under my other entries (and that will likely occur to me throughout the next week as I settle back into my routine at home).

*  Regrets:  That I got sick before I had a chance to get a massage and enjoy the Turkish baths, that I didn't get to spend any quality time on the beach front (although it was pretty torn up with construction).

*  There are some things that really enjoy when I travel, and somethings I don't.  One thing that is problematic is how common smoking is in many places.  This was true in Turkey.  There was a smoking ban in the hotel, but since it was raining cats and dogs most of the week, people would stand in the doorways (with the motion sensitive doors always open) and smoke.  The smell was pervasive in the lobby areas of the hotel.  It was good to get home to fresher air.

*  I find it highly ironic that my American college students were critical that there were too many short skirts and too much alcohol at a conference held in a predominantly Muslim country.  (And they were right.)  This was obviously the secular side of Turkey that we did not see so much of on our last visit.  I'm thankful that my delegates had their heads on straight and did not get into any trouble.

*  It was a little disturbing to see the amount of waste produced at the conference in terms of bottled water.  There were small single serve (pudding cup) waters on the tables in committee instead of larger jugs with glasses.  Although there were some recycling containers, it still seemed like a lot of waste.
water bottle refill spout in Chicago airport

* Its been interesting to see how different people's thermostats are set differently.  On the bus ride up the mountain we were on windy roads and people needed fresh air, the driver opened the front and back doors.  He tried to close them again and we said - please leave them open, its too hot.  He thought we were crazy (it is winter after all!), but winter was about 55 degrees in Antalya.  The same for the committee rooms, the students are in full suits and the rooms stuffy.  On a beautiful sunny day they have the windows closed and heating on!

No comments:

Post a Comment