Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Looking for something to do in Goynuk

Despite the steady downpour all night and the calls for more rain, we woke today to the sun shining. 
Looking out our bedroom window onto the grounds of the hotel.

I was determined after breakfast to walk into town and see if I could find a tour company to take us to the local sites.  I had tried looking online several times without success.


The stroll from the resort to the town was quite nice.  The area along the coast has mountains rising up from the sea.  The mountains look a lot like Colorado Springs to me, with piney forests and jagged rock faces rising up.


I strolled past a number of new resorts and made it to the "main drag" in town.  I was quite surprised to discover the Queen Elizabeth 'docked' in the middle of town.  Its a hotel designed to look like a cruise ship!  There are store fronts all along the ground level of it.

Many of the shops were closed, and many more were under construction.  It was very obvious it was the "off season".  It was interesting to see the variety of items in shops.  At one store, furs and leather coats, in the shop next door there were bikinis.
Nothing says "buy my handbags" like a stuffed fox in the window... ?!

I found this shop signage pretty funny.  Mannequins in size 0 bikinis and a super model pictured with "Big Size" swim wear on the sign.  Not quite sure what this was in reference to.

I spotted a tour agency half way through town and went to see what they were able to offer.  The proprietor was very friendly and helpful and I had soon arranged a tour for the afternoon with our group.  I walked as quickly as I could back to the hotel to meet the students during their coffee break and let them know about the tour.  I also spoke with the conference staff to let them know the students would be out of committee for the afternoon...after all, we are in Turkey!
Main Street Goynuk Turkey

No comments:

Post a Comment