Saturday, March 1, 2014

Up early

Its hard to adjust to the change in timezones.  We are 8 hours ahead of Wichita.  We lost most of Saturday in transit.  Although we did not sleep a lot on the plane, it was still hard to get to sleep at 10 pm local when it was only 2 pm Wichita time.  I woke up several times in the middle of the night and just let my mind run until I could doze off again.

I was awakened at 5:30 am by the first call to prayer.  Our window was open to the cool night air and all of a sudden there were at least five different calls sounding out of the PA systems from the nearby mosques.  Most were sung, one was more like a spoken chant.  It was kind of discordant for a while, then most of them ended and one remained...kind of a peaceful drone.  There's something pretty powerful in thinking about all of the devout believers who get up in response to a call to prayer each morning.

No chance of me falling back asleep, so I got up, looking forward to a fun day in the city!

Breakfast was at the school.  Generally good, but I was disappointed not to have any good yougert!  I'm sure I'll get my chance.  One odd item that I did not include was french fries.  I'm afraid I can't be a true Turk because I don't care for fresh tomatos and cucumbers (served at every meal, including breakfast).

No comments:

Post a Comment