Monday, November 23, 2015

Exploring Olomouc

I decided that I did not need to spend 4+ hours on a bus today to travel to Auschwitz, which I have already visited twice.  Instead I spent the day exploring the town with one of my students who felt the same.
Here is the Plague column from the center square.  Many cities in central Europe have a similar column that was erected to celebrate the end of a plague epidemic. They are three side, marking the Holy Trinity.  This one was quite large, although I'm not sure if its bigger than the one in Vienna.  Being in a smaller square makes it look larger.

Local memorial for the Paris terrorist atttacks.

The lighted Christmas tree in daylight.  It is a large live tree, not one that was cut and brought in.

The astronomical clock on the square.  I haven't been table to arrive close enough to the hour to observe the figures at the top in motion.


The main square in Olomouc

No comments:

Post a Comment