Thursday, July 18, 2013

Kayak time

Delaney, Adam and I decided it would be fun to rent kayaks and go out on the water.  We have seen lots of small boats on the bay when the tide is up.  Unfortunately, none of our rental cars has a rack, so we would need to go to where the boats were instead of taking them to the ocean.  We found a rental place on a local pond in Nickerson State Park.  We enjoyed a beautiful drive through the wooded state park and then discovered Flax Pond.  We were the first customers of the day and the pond was not crowded at all.  It was fresh water, and actually quite deep (80 feet in the center).  The water was a perfect temperature for swimming.  We rented a single and a double kayak and paddled to the center of the pond, then hopped out and swam, then Delaney wanted to try the single kayak herself, so Adam joined me and we all paddled all the way across to the other side and back again.  After that we swam on the beach for a while, then headed home, stopping for ice cream on the way.

The park road.

Flax pond and swim beach.  I wish I had some photos of us in the kayaks, but I had no way to keep my phone dry on the boat.


No comments:

Post a Comment